Tuesday, June 19, 2012

#28 - Other Issues


Pretty much been a bit off for the last month or so, haven’t felt quite right at all. I don’t think it has anything to do with running but more with food issues. Since sometime last year when I started to pick-up running (roughly 50m/week avg) I developed some kind of allergy or intolerance to something I eat. It could be a coincidence that this issue started when I picked up the running mileage last year or I’m just getting old and shit happens (no pun intended!). It sometimes gets better for a couple of days then it gets worse and for the last 2-3 weeks it has gotten much worse. Two things happen to me when it gets worse, stomach issues/gases and energy levels go down and I'm just simply uncomfortable all day. When I run there is at least one pit stop and most likely two but all along there is discomfort. Its hard enough to focus on your running and now I have to start thinking if I'm going to shit my pants. 

Not sure what it is, but it could be gluten or lactose (hopefully not gluten). Last Wednesday I went to the doctor, had some blood test done and haven’t heard back yet. As everyone knows free Health Care means everything moves at snail pace and there is no rush to do anything quick and its mostly passive if one doesn't push the system. Anyways, my Family Doctor put me on a lactose free diet for the next month to see how that works. That means I had to stop taking the recovery drinks (Ultragen and/or Hammer Recoverite) b/c both have lactose. If this lactose diet works I can start introducing some other lactose products back in later on and see how that works. Since the Doctor's visit I've been on the diet and most issues still remain but not as strong as before. We will see how it all develops as we approach Leadville.


Running has been going well, the mileage is up about 10-20% so I'm around the 60-65mpw and even though I'm a bit tired I feel things are going fairly decent. The problem has been the stomach issues lately. I definitively feel the need to jump on a race soon to test my levels, and I will be looking forward to Silver Rush in mid-July, with a short pre-race at Creemore.

1 comment:

  1. that sucks man. Hopefully you will get it figured out. Will cya at creemore for sure.

    Strange, every time I think about leadville I begin to think I might shit my pants.

    ReplyDelete