Monday, May 14, 2012

#27 - Recovering and 10K Sporting Life (Camp Ouch!)

Recovering well after Bear Mtn, and I'm glad that no issues have remained from the race. I always get concerned about tendinitis, blisters and some tender areas in lower legs that have been somewhat of an issue this year. I've basically run half of the normal mileage last week and I'm starting to feel my legs again. I'm eating like crazy though and can't seem to get enough. If the plan was to get to 170lbs by Leadville this must stop, if not I'm going back to 180lbs from my current 175lbs.

I ended up following Transvulcania 50M on the web on Saturday and it was an awesome race, 3 guys gunning it out with Dakota Jones taking it on the last 6miles. By the way, I've been told by a couple of Spanish friends that this race is unbelievably beautiful, a must do!

I was not going to run Seaton this year, but on Sunday I had signed up to run the 10k Sporting Life benefiting Camp Ooch (or Ouch as I call it) and I was not looking forward to it. 10k's are awful and they hurt from the beginning to the end and its done at a totally ridiculous pace that I'm not used to, and by the way my legs were feeling heavy and, and, and...you know what I mean. It was a complete Zoo at the race site +20k runners and my wife dropped me about 2km from the start and it took me about 20min just to get to my corral. Once there I just a couple of minutes to spare and were off...wholy crap it was a bit fast at the beginning and I crossed the 2km mark at 7:15 on my watch and I knew no way I was going to keep that up today. I settled in a more "comfortable" (not really) pace by 3km and passed the 5km mark in 19min, and then the km markers were missing until the 9km mark where my watch said ~35min. I more or less knew where I was but not exactly and I wanted to break the 40min mark. I crossed around the 39:45 clock time or <39min my watch/chip. Good race, but I now know why I don't like short road races, they hurt a lot or at least they hurt in a different way.

Next up is Sulphur Springs in two weeks and I'm moving down to the 50k race instead of the 50M, and taking it more as a long-run than a race. I figure I take about 1-2 weeks to fully recover so I rather train continuously from now until the Silver Rush 50M in Leadville on July 15th, before the taper to Leadville 100M.

1 comment:

  1. You're tempting me. I'm asking the coach what he thinks of Silver Rush.

    ReplyDelete