Thursday, September 1, 2011

#18 - The Opposite and Other Stuff

I just committed to running 100M at Haliburton. I didn't plan to run for this race over the year nor do I feel as strong as I did leading up to BR100 so as Seinfeld would say the opposite must be true (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUvKE3bQlY). I'll be doing some tapering this week and next but I'm not going to exaggerate it either. I played soccer yesterday with work and had great fun and I also plan to enjoy this, soon to be last, summer weekend with the family. So it will be what it will be.

No real plans on timing for this one, just finishing would be great. Hopefully I can eat whatever I see at the race and I plan to enjoy the run as much as I can. At least the heat will not be Ohio heat, so that is a real positive. Not really looking forward to the night portion through Haliburton Forest, seems spooky enough! I'll have no crew nor pacer so some planning for drop bags will be done, and I'm thinking at 15 & 30km aid stations would be perfect, that way I'll pass 8 times through them at km 15, 30, 50, 65, 95, 110, 130 & 145. Seems easy doesn't it?

Had a real good long run this weekend. I've done the Hockley Heights (http://www.torontohiking.com/tohi/hockley-heights-loop.html) 24km loop many times (which I think is one of toughest ones around with 900m of elevation gain) but this time I added part of the Hemlock Ridge Trail (http://www.torontohiking.com/tohi/the-hemlock-ridge-trail.html) trail for an additional 14km. Really good technical trails with pretty good hills.

Not sure if anyone is following the UTMB results and blogging but its been intense. Basically the Americans did not have a good day and most DNF'd except for a couple. Killian destroyed everyone and continues to be the man to beat, seems like he never gets tired. Check out the following blogs if you are interested:

Geoff Roes
http://akrunning.blogspot.com/2011/08/utmb-dnf-what-went-wrong.html
Nick Clark
http://irunmountains.blogspot.com/2011/08/utmb-dnf.html
Dakota Jones
http://thatdakotajones.blogspot.com/2011/08/europe.html

1 comment:

  1. Good luck at Haliburton.
    Night can be spooky but by that time you will be to tired to notice.

    ReplyDelete