I've only done this race once, last year's 32k, and I thought it ran more like a 50k. For some reason I didn't quite remember how technical this terrain was, so I signed up for the 50k just in case.
Race weather was great at the beginning and the first loop went very well until I took a left when I should of taken a right, more racing fun right? After about 1k the small group I was running with figured out we had taken the wrong turn and headed back. I really think this wrong turn, even though it took +10min, helped me out with my pace. Before the turn I was jostling with a couple of runners and getting too competitive, but after I just settled in between the group in front and the a group in the middle and ran most of the race by myself focusing only my pace and hydration (I didn't worry too much about food).
The second loop was a bit tougher on the legs but still managed to keep the pace, didn't get passed along the way and passed a couple at the end. The heat started to take its toll, and the aid stations didn't seem to have any ice. So by the time we hit the aid stations on the way back on our second loop the water/gatorade was so warm you could not even drink it. I spent the last 45min just wetting my lips and splashing water on head/face with warm water.
Hydration plan was ok until the last 45min, but I didn't cramp at all and took enough salt tabs along the way. Still couldn't figure out the eating part, only managed to put in about 6 GUs and some pretzels during the race but felt I needed more calories. For a 50k or ~5hr race not too much of a problem for something longer huge problem because it is so hard to catch up.
Personally I'm feeling much better and this race was a good sign for Haliburton. One more week of training and I'll decide if I sign up.
No comments:
Post a Comment