Tuesday, August 16, 2011

#16 - Not Feeling it

Since my DNF at 100BR, I have not been able to feel the same way I had before I got sick the last week leading up to the race. My legs seem tired all the time, all my runs seem to be a struggle, except for a couple here and there. My quads hurt very now and then, sometimes my ankle and knee joints hurt as well, and I have never had an issue with any of them. Am I falling apart or what? The strange thing is that when I take a day or two off it doesn't get any better. After a week of recovery after BR, I did manage to run 80k last week with one long run of +30km but it hasn't been pretty.

Not sure what the problem is. I've been eating well and slepping as usual. Maybe its the lingering effect of the cold or is it just mental, or both? Should I just push through it and see what happens? I don't have much time for Haliburton if I want to run the 100M there. I'll be running the Iroquoia 50k this weekend and that should give me an idea of how bad (or good) things are. The plan for Haliburton is to be up to 100k this week and then another 100-120k the week after before ramping down.

If I'm not feeling half decent by the end of next, I'll have to postpone the 100M attempt for next year. It will definitely be a long winter for me. This sucks.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Carlos.

    I think you're in good shape for Hali already. Just try to run for the fun of it over the next two weeks, which will maintain your current level of fitness. Don't go crazy trying to prove anything at ITT, but just have fun on the trails. And then taper for the final two weeks. It will all work itself out. You may not feel great during most of the taper, but will start to feel better as you get close to the date.

    With all your focus leading up to BR, it was a huge letdown of your expectations, so it's not surprising that you've had some challenges getting back into the groove. Often this manifests itself physically, so you feel worn down or rotten. Sometimes, instead of focusing on long, drawn-out long runs, it's good to just go for some short runs and do some speed bursts. Leave your GPS at home so you're not focused on evaluating how fast you're going! You've already put in the time building up your endurance, so just relax, enjoy the runs and look forward to another race.

    You spent a lot of time training for BR, but just because the day didn't work out as planned doesn't mean that all of the training and the sacrifices made were a waste. The training has its own importance (perhaps even more than the event) and you will only lose what you gained by surrendering it.

    I think you'll do great at Hali.

    Cheers,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carlos,
    Don't worry, you're there. You ran 50 miles in horrible conditions 2 weeks ago. You need to recover from that. Don't go overboard trying to test yourself. After my dnf at Mohican, I never ran more than 4 hours until BR a month later. I know we don't run in the same circles, but my point is that I felt much stronger at BR after some solid but lower volume running. Have fun at ITT and taper. Like Johnny says, you're physically fit already. Maintain that and try to get your head screwed on right. A 100 miler is more of a mental challenge than a physical one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget the km build up. You are already in shape. I have found that it can take months to fully recover from a 100 and BR was a tough day for everyone. Keep in mind that your legs are not the only thing that gets beat up. The mental aspect takes a pounding whether you finish or not. Also its really hard on your endocrine system. Check out the link below abut this

    http://www.succeedscaps.com/endocrine.html

    I felt that last year I really never completely recovered from my first 100 at sulphur but was still able to run at haliburton. Dont sweat it, your ready to go. Hope to see you out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, good comments. Having fun is what is all about. Hope to see you guys out there soon.

    ReplyDelete