Race started very well and felt pretty good however since this time around the race is more like a long training run I did not taper and I was unsure how I would hold up. First two loops were excellent and everything went as planned (food, liquid, pace) and really enjoyed myself. I was a bit ahead of pace since I finish the first 40k in ~3:40, and I also knew that at some point during loop 3 I was going to start feeling tired/down. I changed shoes/shirt and even though I didn't really needed to it was a nice refreshing change that lasted for about 10min! Mud was everywhere and getting worse as over 500(?) runners had done considerable damage (back to the race no more mud related issues as Seaton takes the cake in that regard). Since I was planning for a low point during loop 3 when it came just before half way, maybe km 47, I just slowed a bit had an early gel/some pretzels and kept going not putting too much pressure and roughly 5km after it hit I started to feel somewhat better. I wonder how many of these low points I will encounter during a 100M (I guess
By far loop 3 was the toughest. On loop 4 just by knowing you only have one more to go, you feel stronger...at least mentally. So I decided at the start of loop 4, to put on a waist pack with 2 bottles (1 water and 1 Gatorade) since I was starting to feel very thirsty. I was a bit scared since I wasn't sure I had done enough salt tablets and maybe my electrolytes were low. Many times in the past I start dehydrating around the 5hr mark and start drinking too much water and then I get cramps and its almost an impossible task to run without pain (my last 50 miler was a painful reminder for the last 15km; during my last trail race I puked all the water out about 2km from the finish....and so on). I also could not manage another sip of Boost for the last loop, so I made a promise to eat something at the aid stations. I ran slower than loop 3 but I ran most of it except hills (by this point I called any type of incline a big hill). I saw Ken, or I guess I saw his back as he passed me very quickly. He looked fresh, and at that time I thought he would have a chance to win the 100M and just this morning I found out he did at around ~17:40.
This race by far was the best of the season in terms of accomplishing what I set out to do and sticking to a plan (kinda, but sometimes you have to improvise depending on how you feel). Results on new things I tried: 1) Boost - I will keep at it, couldn't really manage too much of it but maybe it was the damn hill at the beginning 2) Gels - need more, will try every 45min but I just can't do too many of them 3) Chia - perfect the more the merrier 4) No shuffle - did not put too much stress in my body however I have some ankle soreness 5) Gatorade only bottle - good but I would change flavours during the race and dilute accordingly.
So loop 3 & 4 were done at 4:35 and I finished around the 8:15 mark (about an hour less than my PB) feeling pretty good physically and mentally. I was able to go to Christie's Antique Show that afternoon with my wife/kids and even though I'm hurting a bit today I'm sure I'll be able to start training tomorrow. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season and the
Next up is the
Excellent! I think the slower pace of a 100 miler will make it easier to take in the Boost.
ReplyDeleteWell done.
ReplyDeleteExcellent time. I agree with JD boost will be easier in the 100.
good luck in Quebec.