Thursday, April 14, 2016

#44 - Back in the Game

Its been about 18 months since my last race at Virgil 50M. I took all of 2015 off but kept on running at about 40-50km per week. I felt good sometimes and at times like crap. My foot is finally healed but I have had some issues with my ankles, which I believe came from the foot issues I had before. It can be some sort of tendonitis which the pain is manageable but not pleasant.

I've switched back to Hoka's again from my trusty Cascadias because of the foot and ankle issues, so I hope I can manage my feet during the longer races. Cascadias are a real good shoe but the lack the support old people like me need to run.

This year has been much better, my mind and body are in a different place and I feel I can, and want to, race in some ultras. I signed up for 4 races in 2016 (Race Around the Bay 30km, Bear Mountain 50M, Wakely Dam 50km, Superior 100M). I will also be doing some longer Fat Ass style runs at some parks during the summer months.

A couple of weeks a go I did the Race Around the Bay to start out the season. It's an institution of a race, and it has been around for so long that I had to do it at some point. The idea was to do 2:15ish but I saw the 2:10 bunny and I stayed with the group until the 22km mark. I was doing great with no issues until then, but the rolling hills and the pace until that point really started to hurt my legs and I decided it was not worth the pain. I didn't stop but I took the foot of the pedal a bit and ended up finishing just under the 2:11 mark. I'm not going to lie that my legs were hurting for 3-4 days and I'm hopeful the pace and pavement are the culprits. Next up is Bear Mountain 50M, I know my legs will hurt a lot more after that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment