
I landed in Phoenix on
Thursday night and drive up to Payson, roughly 1.5hrs. I stayed at the best
western which is the same place where the packet pickup is, the hotels is ok
nothing special. On Friday morning I decided to go visit all the aid stations
including the start/finish line. One tough thing about this race is that it
only has 5 stations at 8, 17, 24 (no crew), 33 and 44. After going to all of them
I noticed that the terrain seemed very dry and extremely dusty and it was very
warm at 9am. The weather channel said it was going to be warner on Saturday,
and the peak heat during the race was over 90F or 30C+ (so I was told) and if
that is the case it would have broke the record high for the race, lucky me! Another
problem is that the terrain acts like a convection oven, the red dust with the
rocks and no shade, it is brutal.
Anyways, since I was alone and there was no bus service to and from start/finish line I decided to contact another Canadian runner (Nancy) to see if we could share cars/rides. She was awesome and together with her partner they gave me a ride to the start and then from waited for me at the finish line to give me a ride back to the hotel. So thankful, and her partner Kelly helped me out at some of the AS with water and so forth, again if you read this story, many thanks. Nance was somewhat sick entering the race and hard time and decided to call it a day at mile 33, can’t blame her I wasn’t feeling very good at that point either and I wasn’t even sick. We met just prior to the race at the packet pickup at the hotel on Friday and figured we could meet at 4:10 am and head out to the starting line which was about 20km away.
Start to Geronimo (0-8) - ~1:30
Anyways, since I was alone and there was no bus service to and from start/finish line I decided to contact another Canadian runner (Nancy) to see if we could share cars/rides. She was awesome and together with her partner they gave me a ride to the start and then from waited for me at the finish line to give me a ride back to the hotel. So thankful, and her partner Kelly helped me out at some of the AS with water and so forth, again if you read this story, many thanks. Nance was somewhat sick entering the race and hard time and decided to call it a day at mile 33, can’t blame her I wasn’t feeling very good at that point either and I wasn’t even sick. We met just prior to the race at the packet pickup at the hotel on Friday and figured we could meet at 4:10 am and head out to the starting line which was about 20km away.
Start to Geronimo (0-8) - ~1:30
Geronimo to Washington Park (8-17) - ~3:30
The weather was
getting warmer but not too much on this segment, however from here on out it
was basically an uphill race. Not sure if anyone knows but the race has
~11,000ft of gain and it goes from 6,000 to 8,000 at the finish line. There is a big hill at the start of the
section and it was good to feel somewhat fresh, I saw Kelly there and gave him
my arm-warmers and headlight and off I went quickly. This section was somewhat
hard and the legs were beginning to show signs of stress and tiredness. The
heat was starting to show its face, but it was still early. Nothing major to
report here, I made good time and I remember thinking that an 11hr finish time
handle is doable. I was looking forward to picking up my new set of gels and a
shake I had prepared on a small drop bag.
Washington Park to
Hell’s Gate Canyon (17-23?) - ?
This is where the race
really begins I believe. Rolling hills in very nasty terrain (did I mention
rocks?) and the heat was now in full force. I started seeing burned trees and
very little vegetation, and only after the race did I know that there was a big
fire in the area some years ago that destroyed many trees and killed many
animals and even 6 firefighters. These six miles took about me ~1:30 but I’m
not so sure, maybe a bit less. The race packet says mile 25 but it is short a
couple which makes the next BRUTAL section even harder. The AS was in the
middle of nowhere really and only a tent with water/food was there with no crew
access. I mean I don’t even know how the guys got there with their 4x4. I
caught up to several guys along this path and I soon lost all of them again as
I headed out and refilled my 3 water bottles for the next ~10 miles picked some
bananas and up I went.
Remember the last
stage being nasty, take it up a notch and add some heat to it. Wow, I was
sucking wind barely able to hold up my effort level and just trying to survive.
Its freaking 10 miles long and no shade nothing just freaking thorny bushes
tearing your legs apart and the rocks just multiplied exponentially. I just
kept saying in my head, its going to get better, keep eating your gels drink
and you’ll bounce back. The only good thing about all of this is that almost no
one past me in this section and I past a couple, so it wasn’t only me. I will
always remember something Karl said to me on an email:
“With the rocks, if they are fixed in the
ground, the idea is to run right over them, taking the straight line. Never go "around" them, like a
biker would. You want to be light on
your feet, you know, the way they talk in that book....One thing to always
think about on rocky terrain is to NOT drag your feet, you'll stumble and go
down hard. Don't get annoyed by them,
thrive on it, it's fun, like a dance.
:-) -Karl”
With about 2.5 miles
to go I saw some sort of blue tent on the mountain ahead, I wasn’t sure what it
was and maybe I was having hallucinations. I was already running low on water
(after drinking 2.5 bottles of the 3 I filled up). I was taking salt tabs every
hour now, but I could see the salt stains everywhere on my shirt, I wanted so
bad to get to the next AS. Right after I saw the tent I came to a running
stream (I was putting my cap and buff in the streams every time I could, but
this year was much dryer than any other) and I decided to fill up two of my
bottles. If I get sick because of the water then be it, I’m not going to
dehydrate. So as I go up the next hill and decide to clean my socks added a new
clean pair below the ones I was wearing (that did the trick because I didn’t
change socks or shoes for the remainder of the race) and as soon as I start
running again I come up to that blue tent I saw 10min ago, it was an improvised
water-only check-in station, crap! I had
just downed one bottle of water from the stream so I gave them my number and
kept going. After what felt forever I came to the AS barely moving.
Coming in to the
station I had another quick drop bag with gels and a shake. I was overheating
quickly and saw quite a bit of carnage on the AS. I now picked up my 4th
bottle of water for the next 11 miles, almost 80oz. Knowing that I drank 4.5 bottles over the
last 10 miles it is not going to get any easier. I was told before I headed out
that there is a steep uphill but the terrain will start changing gradually with
more tree coverage meaning less heat. To certain extent they were correct but
it wasn’t an immediate change. I walked out quickly from the AS since I didn’t
want to spend too much time thinking how crappy I was felling and how on earth
was I going to finish another 17 miles of this. I also knew that people take
easily 3-4hrs on this stretch and the way I was feeling and I was hoping for
4hrs. I started walking out and eating some bananas, and as soon as I started
going up for some reason I got into a good rhythm and effort level. I was not cruising
and running but I was power hiking the uphills, jogging the flats (not many
flats on this course by the way!), and running the downhills with renewed
strength. God damn I’m back from the dead, well I was not killing it. I was
still feeling extremely tired. However, I soon started to pass lots of people
having a very hard time, and from here on out I got passed by just 2 people and
it was on the last segment of the race. With about 5 miles to go I came across
another impromptu water-only check-in quasi station and filled up one of my
bottles, in case I was going to run short. I may sound like a broken record but
this section again went on forever and it was very tough, 11 miles in 3 hours
is a long time and I was feeling better than in the last segment. I was having
a hard time keeping up with the gels and my stomach was grumpy with heat, I
kept at it because I knew I would go into a downward spiral if I didn’t put any
food in my body. After a long and steep downhill I started hearing the sound of
cars and people and I finally arrived at See Canyon. Only 7 miles to go!
When I looked down at
my watch I knew that only a miracle would put me in the finish line before
12hrs, so all I could do is give it a go. Filled up only three bottles for a 7
miles (by the way, up to know I’ve drank 15 bottles x 20oz =300oz or 8.8 liters
yeah I may have poured some on my head but that excludes any drinks I had on
the aid stations; I ended up drinking only 2 in last stage) again took some
bananas with me and got out of the AS quickly. I remembered I had full drop bag
there in case shit happened, meaning a set of lights, warm clothing,
shoes/socks…you get the drift it was basically an emergency kit and good thing
I didn’t even ask for the bag. People were saying that this portion is
runnable, not sure what portion because I may have missed the portion of the
trial that was runnable! The first 2 miles are literally straight up for
+2,500ft, my legs were screaming I was out of breath and I began having cramps
on both legs. At the very top my calf almost seized I took my last two salt
tabs (I packed 14 thinking it was way too much) and began a small jog trying to
catch my breath. I remember asking God to please give me enough legs to finish;
I did not want to get all the way up to mile 46 and then have my legs die on
me. The salt started to work and I was able to run the downhills pretty quickly
(I’m amazed how my legs were still working on the downhills after Hyner and +45
miles of this, but I wasn’t going to complain too much) so I let it go as fast
as I could on the downhills, powerwalk everything else and if I could run as
much of the flats. Time kind of stood still for a while and I just wanted time
to go by faster and get it all done, I have had enough. Soon I saw the best
sign I could have hoped for, 1 mile to go! I ran the last mile in ~10min so not
too shabby.
I crossed the finish
line and finally sat my ass down for the first time since I changed my socks
(that’s twice since 5am), it felt so good to finish. This race really does
destroy you in so many ways. I’m still getting red dust out of my nose my legs
are cut to shreds and that is even after they had cut some of the trees and
vegetation from the trail, so you can imagine how it was back in the days
(Barkleys style I assume?). My feet are sore and swollen from all the pounding
on the rocks but my legs hurt less than they did after Hyner. I guess it must
have been the uphill nature of the course, but I can assure you there are still
considerable downhill portions as well. I’m taking a rest this week very easy and
smiling as some of the guys will be heading to Bear Mtn.
The Good:
Ate my gels even though I was, at times, in low
patch Kept to plan of going slow and then running by feel; I past a lot of people after mile 33 and only got past by 2
I did not get lost
I did no fall
The altitude did not affect me much, or at least as expected
I finished around the planned time
The Bad
I should have used my bladder instead of water bottles, much easier to run with in these technical trails
I should have not run
Hyner the weekend before
If you haven’t done
Zane Grey 50, put in your list of must do races. I’ll be back, maybe not next
year but I’ll be back. It will beat you down and you will tell yourself many
times over why on earth you are doing this, but you know what you get this at
the end….how fitting a rock from the trail!





Sweet! You're the man.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure I could finish that race but I might give it a try one day.