Wednesday, July 27, 2011

#14 - Burning River 100M (Pre race preparation and thoughts)

I'll be running the whole race with trail shoes (Cascadia) even though there is quite a bit of roads and easy trails and expecting to change roughly every 30M. I'll start with handheld bottles and change into my Salomon pack at around my first shoe change or 30M, it should start getting hot by then. I'll have a small water bottle with Chia with me the entire race and I'll fill it up as needed every time I see my wife. I'll try to have 2 GUs/hr (at least at the beginning) and Boost every 2 hours for calories depending on stomach conditions and heat. I have 2 lights for the night portion, one I will use on my head and the other on my waist. Since it might go down to about 18 degrees I'm bringing my arm warmers in case I get a bit cold which I will pick at the same time I pick up the lights.

Other random thoughts, in no particular order:
  • I'm reading the BR100 facebook page several times a day and thinking about the race constantly.
  • I'm thinking when I should change shoes/socks and how should I pace myself.
  • As expected some doubts creep in as well: did I train enough? did I taper too much? too hot? 
  • Everyone thinks I'm crazy in running a 100M race but there are 300 crazy individuals doing it with me so I'm not alone.
  • My wife will be crewing me and she will be very helpful for me since I'm sure I will need encouragement along the way.
  • Since yesterday I've been feeling that a cold is starting to creep in and I have some chest congestion. I think its just nerves but I'm taking some cold medicine just in case.
  • Practicing on the actual trail does give me some peace of mind in terms of what to expect.
  • Is a time between 20-24hr realistic for me?

1 comment:

  1. 24hr might be realistic. That said the 100 is a totally different animal from any other race. With 10 miles of road at the start the temptation to end up going to fast (which will actually be slow and feel slow) is going to be a real issue. Just remember when you hit your first really tough stretch and everything gets dark and gloomy that if you keep going you will bounce back out of it. The last 50 miles is all mental just like the people trying to run it.

    cya at the race

    ReplyDelete